Friday, February 1, 2019

My ideal writing spot

My husband asked me to write about my ideal writing spot. I told him that I already knew my ideal writing spot -- a cabin at nearby Mozingo Lake. After all, I said, I could curl up on the couch next to a fireplace in a cozy nook, look out the window at the lake, and type.

I don't have access to that spot more than once a year or so, which means I have to deal with less than ideal writing spots. Take, for example, my living room (my most common writing spot). I generally write sitting on the couch, with a lap desk securely holding my Surface Pro 3 (an older but serviceable tablet with detachable keyboard). We have a fireplace, sort of -- one of those little plug-in electric heaters that if one pretends really well looks like a fireplace.  There's tea here when Richard makes a pot. It's not my favorite spot, though, because I can't spread out and be cozy.

We have an office, a small room that was touted as a bedroom in the real estate ads for this house yet seems too small to put even a twin bed in. It's overfull with bookshelves and a library table, and although its large monitor calls to me, the feeling of cluttered claustrophobia keeps me from taking the space seriously.

Going out to write, of course, gives me a fresh perspective on writing. Board Game Cafe in Maryville, MO (as I've mentioned before) has good coffeehouse ambience with just enough distraction to make writing easy. The Starbucks in the campus library (aka the best Starbucks in the US given its location and spacious seating area) works excellently. Both these places need a fireplace, though.


Going back to the Mozingo cabin, I think the reason it's my favorite writing space is because it's truly a retreat, a visible break from everyday routine. It's something I can't have all the time. Even if we put a real fireplace in my comfortable living room (impossible because of the need for ventilation) my living room would be someplace I would need to take a break from, to get a new view on my writing.

I'm still looking for how to make home more ideal, though.

1 comment:

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.