Sunday, February 3, 2019

The Winter Doldrums

I'm fighting the winter doldrums.

The polar vortex with its -40 F (-40 C) wind chill has passed, and the warmer temperatures have melted some of the snow, but we're now shrouded in grey skies and thick fog. There is nothing romantic in February fog and muddied snow.

My life looks like the terrain outside -- isolated and isolating, with no shiny stars left over from Christmas to focus on.  No bad news, but no good news either. Nothing other than the occasional rejection on the query front. No new life in my basement grow room, although the good news is that I will be starting some seeds in a couple weeks -- tomatoes and peppers and eggplant; white flowers for the moon garden (aka the non-edible portion of my garden).

It's hard to feel optimistic right now. It's hard to believe that beneath the snow and ice of my life, plants slumber waiting for their time to reach for the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.