Saturday, February 9, 2019

Thinking of chocolate.

Today in Maryville,MO,  the First Presbyterian Church holds its Nth annual Chocolate Festival. Consisting of two parts -- the chocolate dessert bar and the take-home chocolatey cookie and candy bazaar -- it's an opportunity to treat oneself to a pre-Valentine's Day indulgence.

Chocolate has become synonymous with Valentine's Day in the US (So has Halloween, but Halloween candy isn't GOOD chocolate). Probably because in the lab, chocolate consumption has been linked to oxytocin secretion by the body, and oxytocin is the cuddle chemical. The jury is out on whether you can bribe someone to love you by giving them chocolate, however. (Note, you can also get oxytocin by hugging a friend, an animal, or even a stuffed sloth.)

I prefer my chocolates at the extremes -- very bittersweet dark chocolate and white "chocolate", that cocoa butter confection that just melts. Mass-produced American chocolate leaves me cold; Belgian and Swiss chocolate make me very happy. Chocolate caramel, chocolate truffles, chocolate-coated marzipan ... but not chocolate-covered raisins or gummies.  My favorite chocolatier in the US is L. A. Burdick, but I can't afford their chocolate (well, I could, for a treat. However, I can't afford their shipping.) They produce their chocolates with imaginative fillings that vary with the seasons and holidays. They just got done producing their Lunar New Year Asian-inspired chocolate palette; now they're in the middle of Valentine's season now.

I'm looking forward to the Chocolate Festival today. Don't tell anyone, but I actually like caramel better than chocolate, and my favorite dessert at the festival tends to be the chocolate pecan pie bars. This doesn't mean that I won't eat good chocolate when it's shown to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.