Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Spring in my Heart

Almost March, and the snow still lies in dirtied drifts on the ground, piled person-high at the edges of parking lots. The wind chills are more often than not in the single digits.  Usually, by now, the snow pack has gone and the days fool one into thinking Spring has come early.  My peas are supposed to be planted on St. Patrick's Day, and I don't know if the snow will be gone by then, much less the soil warm enough.

In short, I am sick of winter.  

I want something new. Like many Americans, I think I want a new pretty thing. I replaced my iPhone 6 Plus after three or four years with a refurbished iPhone 8 Plus, and I'm already accustomed to its shiny new look. That's the problem with new things -- we step on the hedonic treadmill, buy shiny new things, and feel happy until that happiness, hedonic happiness, quickly fades.  

I want a new thing for my soul. I want to plant peas on St. Patrick's Day and watch them grow. I want to see my books progress toward being printed. I want to find a new challenge that absorbs me. 

If I can't have Spring outside, I would like Spring in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.