Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Today is my 55th birthday.

Today is my 55th birthday.

I don't know what to think about that.

Turning 40 didn't faze me -- it felt no different than the year before. I had just gotten tenure, and I felt like I was at the top of my game.

Turning 50 didn't faze me -- it felt little different than being 40. I didn't know what all the fuss people made about turning 50 was about.

At age 55, though, I suddenly feel like I have entered into the world of Advancing Age. That's why 55 bothers me -- it's the age at which "matronly" replaces "sexy". The age at which I could retire early if I worked at something more lucrative than professoring. The age at which I could join the Red Hat -- oh, wait, that was five years ago, something I conveniently forgot. I am officially a ma'am, no longer a MILF (Ok, fine, I never was).

But the thing that really drove my advancing age home to me was that I am finally eligible for Senior Discounts. At no age previously has someone tried to attach the word "senior" to my existence. As long as I felt 35 at age 40, or 40 at age 50, my actual age didn't matter. But now I can say "I'd like the senior breakfast" and not get carded.

That's what really makes me feel old. Not that I mind the discount, but ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.