Monday, September 10, 2018

Murder your darlings thoroughly dead

I am murdering my darlings quite thoroughly in this edit/rewrite.

It hasn't been fun. I'm losing a lot of storytelling and world building I'm going to have to build back in.

But there's a storyteller's adage, rendered sometimes as "Murder your darlings" and others as "Kill your darlings", which simply means to get rid of all the self-indulgent stuff.

And when I look over my first novels, I find a lot of self-indulgent stuff.

I hope I've discovered the line between world-building and self-indulgent stuff now. I have to admit part of what I put in the original story embarrasses me and I cut it quite readily. I'm a bit scared of whether I'm cutting too much.

Oh, well, I can always add some back...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.