Friday, September 7, 2018

On Tuesday I turn 55.

On Tuesday, I turn 55.

I don't feel 55. To be honest, I feel like I'm in my early 40's and someone time-transported me a good dozen years into the future and now everyone thinks I am older and wiser.

Perhaps I'm older, but I don't feel a bit wiser.

Wiser people are dignified. I make funny faces and make snarky comments in class. I make my husband laugh by singing ditties with all the words replaced with swear words. I fashion my hands into talking spiders, slam-dancing snails, and nose-eating monsters.

Wiser people are often cynical. Although I'm cynical about politics, I maintain a lot of faith that mankind will grow out of its need to denigrate and debase those who are different.

Wiser people don't dare. I take leaps of faith, submitting queries to agents and getting rejected, because I know I'll survive another rejection.  Maybe that in and of itself is wisdom; I don't know.

I don't feel a bit different than I did at 40.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.