Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Hope Part 2

My mantra:

"You may find a sweeter outcome than you've imagined."

I don't know what I think about this mantra that has popped into my head. On one hand, I fully expect another round of rejections like the one I got yesterday, less than 24 hours after I sent it. On the other hand, I have a pretty vivid imagination. I imagine a multi-book deal and a book-signing tour for which I would have to get book-signing clothes, and friends who want to read this book.

Realistically, I don't think that's going to happen. As a friend of mine said, publishing is a punishing business. It's true. I need the hope to get through another round of queries, hoping that an agent will bite. Which is the first step to getting published, because there's no guarantee that a agent will take you on after they've asked for more material.

The other piece that gives me hope is that I'm already an artist, already a writer. I don't have to get published to be one. I write, I get feedback, I improve my work, I try to get it published. I am serious about what I do. I am a writer, and all the publication route does is make my work available to other people, and gives it some sort of seal of approval so others take it seriously.

I have a friend (as much as one can be when the entire friendship is me commenting on his Instagram posts) who has been busting his butt to get recognition for what he does, and he finally says he's broken a goal. He hasn't announced it yet, but I'm sure it's good because he was almost speechless in his Instagram post.

I'm proud of him.

I hope I will be able to make that kind of announcement someday.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.