Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Life without coffee

This morning, my husband said to me, "I didn't roast any coffee yet and we're out of emergency beans. Would you like tea this morning?"

I felt my vision narrow into a grey-hazed tunnel and my body curl into itself. "Help?" I moaned weakly. "Coffee?"

Tea would just not cut it. Don't get me wrong -- I love tea, from the deep earthy murk of pu-er to the light fragrance of a Chinese green. I drink Darjeeling the way others drink wine -- literally, because I'm no longer allowed to drink alcohol. It's just that tea doesn't have the body, the mouth feel, the fortifying nature of coffee. Tea is an afternoon indulgence; coffee is a trusty helper.

I am not a coffee addict. Truly I am not. I can quit anytime I want ... except, apparently, this morning. Because I begged my husband to go out and get some coffee, and here I sit, now drinking the elixir of life. Richard is the hero of this piece by bringing me coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.