Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Dealing with the Problem Child

I think I'm going to rewrite Mythos from scratch. Ok, from near-scratch.

Mythos is the book I just put through querying that is currently gathering even more rejections than before. Even I think the book is a problem child at this point, and I'm just patiently waiting for more rejections.

I don't blame the agents for rejecting it.

I don't want to abandon Mythos completely, because as far as worldbuilding is concerned, It's beautiful worldbuilding. It's just that -- well, my beta-readers can't get through it. It has some convolutions that aren't adding to the plot, as if it was two books smushed together. It is two books smushed together, actually. It was my second book, and the first book is even more problematic.

So what I'm going to do when it's time to write again is take the outline and rewrite the whole damn* thing. In third person. Without some of the convolutions. Without my tendency to put in too many scene breaks and without the word "engender"** and maybe a few other words that drive my readers crazy ...





* "Darn" will not work here.
** Sheri, this one's for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.