Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Wrestling with a Character

One of the things I've been suggested to do by my developmental editor is to beef up the developing relationship between Grace, a black/Jewish viola prodigy and Ichirou, the young-looking computer design prodigy at the beginning of Prodigies. This should take care of slow pacing and more development for Ichirou.

Somehow, I have not developed Ichirou enough. Part of this is because Ichirou is Japanese, and Japan is a collectivistic society, so Ichirou appears reserved at the beginning. Conversations have the target of taking care of the group and not preserving the assertiveness and individuality of its members. How do I develop Ichirou -- somewhat reserved, idealistic, and in love with Grace?

At the beginning of this story, I find this difficult to do. After all, he's 17 but looks 12, and Grace sees him as a "little pervo". He notices Gracie, but she treats him like a younger brother. He has a tendency to let his mind disappear into an alternate place where he gets ideas, and he seems fragile.

Nonetheless, I have to do something. So far the approach I'm using: They talk about what they have in common -- living in boarding schools, feeling lonely, being pursued by Second World's men. Being prodigies if not Prodigies -- If you're interested in that distinction, be my beta-readers!

I hope this keeps my beginning from dragging!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.