Saturday, July 14, 2018

The Developmental Edit

I've just gone through a developmental edit on Prodigies.

Developmental edits are not like copy edits, where someone proofreads and questions word choices. It's a lot more thorough, and looks at things like pacing, distracting techniques, etc. A second pair of skilled eyes to look over my work and find the problems.

It's not cheap, but if you're serious about getting published and you like having more work to do on your pet project, it's highly advisable.

My editor, Chelsea Harper, is a skilled developmental editor. She not only picked out all the things that nagged in the back of my mind (and couldn't put words to), but she found some issues I hadn't picked up, like too many scene breaks. And she told me something important that I hadn't guessed:

I should be submitting my work to agents in literary fiction (or edit it extensively for fewer big words, which I don't think I can do.)

Yes, I was told that my words are too big before (hi, Sheri!) but I didn't think my writing had what it took for literary fiction. I thought that was the sole province of English professors about High Concepts. Maybe I'm writing crossover fiction -- same difference; I may just be querying the wrong agents.

I don't know where that's going to get me, but it's something.

Deep breath. I've gotten five rejections from Mythos. It might be a good reason to eventually give that to a developmental editor as well. I think we need a developmental edit money pool. Or a Mega Millions win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.