Friday, July 13, 2018

Life without writing

About querying time, I wonder what it would be like to quit writing and quit pursuing representation and publication. Querying is brutal -- you prepare excerpts of your prized manuscripts to people who will go by their first impressions, and nobody will tell why they rejected you except "It's not you, it's me" or "I'm very picky about who I represent". I would love some real feedback like: "Could you rewrite your query letter and tell me more about x".

What would my life be like without writing? I think it would feel like having a lobotomy -- I would know something important was missing, but have no idea what. It would be like waking up and finding out a loved one was gone -- not dead, just gone. In other words, there would be a hole and I can't imagine filling it up. No other hobbies I've had have been this fulfilling, and for my gardening to be close to this fulfilling I would need a working greenhouse with enough room to actually handle my plants. (We do not have the space or money for that.) My moulage (casualty simulation) might become more fulfilling if I could go professional with it, but the outfits that need moulage for training purposes can't afford a professional.

As for giving up dreams of being published, that's a little more complex. There are certain things built into my psyche for better or worse. I love to accomplish new things, and everything else in my life lately has been things I've done for the last N years, where N is probably around 30. I've hit a stagnation point in my job with 8 years until retirement (I've tried hard, coworkers, but I'm chronically burnt out and in need of a break). I need challenge, and I need recognition. I need people liking my work, and to do so they have to see it. Esteem and accomplishment are nothing to be afraid of.

What would it feel like to give up trying to get published? I'd be exactly where I am now, except that the challenge would be gone and I would feel like I had given up on an adventure to stay in my stagnation. I don't know if I can find another opportunity to break the stagnation.

So I do the same thing I've been doing every four months for the past two years, wondering if I will ever make escape velocity.

If anyone has ideas of challenges I could try (I've already lost 70 lbs, I have some health problems that keep me from running, I don't want to run for public office, and I have profound hand-eye coordination problems), let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.