Friday, July 5, 2019

Vacation in Horicon

I haven't written because I am having good family time in Wisconsin, celebrating the Fourth the way I like to: bratwurst and sauerkraut, good cheese and beer.

During summer, my dad lives in a camp trailer at The Playful Goose just outside of Horicon, on the Rock River and not far from Horicon Marsh. It's a cozy place cluttered with hobbies: woodworking tools, winemaking, a ham and bean soup in the crock pot.  

It's a great time for family stories, with my dad and my Uncle Ron telling their adventures from childhood (and the time Uncle Ron set off illegal fireworks years ago on the lawn of the house on Beloit Avenue). Storytelling is an important part of relating in my family.

It's much easier to be around my family since I've been on my mood management medications. I used to feel so much pressure to talk that it was hard for me to be there. Now I'm relaxed, and I enjoy it a lot more.

I'll leave on Sunday with more stories and more appreciation for my family.

******
I'm in Camp Nano right now, and I'm trying to maintain two hours per day to keep up. My family's accustomed to me ducking out to write. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.