Friday, July 26, 2019

Days Pass Slowly


One day feels much like another lately; the heat keeps me from doing much outside and nothing's going on inside. I'm waiting to hear from an agent, a publisher, and a journal, and that status doesn't seem like it will ever change. I don't feel very inspired or very optimistic, so I feel little drive to write or revise. 

Times like these, I try to cling onto the belief that I'm a writer. I dream of being published, at least in part because I fantasize about being able to say "Hey, I'm a published author!" The likely reaction from people will be an anticlimactic, "That's nice." But it's a little kid fantasy, an "I'll show you!" Not very impressive.

Maybe this lapse in writing is good for me, although it does feel like an eroding of my identity. (Why my identity as a professor is not enough puzzles me, but there it is.) 

So I wait for something to happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.