Friday, March 16, 2018

Boy, Do I Need a Break!

I get off work at 1 PM today, and after that? Spring Break. Americans don't get as much vacation as do people in many European countries, and when we do get vacation time, we frenetically spend our vacations going places -- usually places in the southern portion of the country where it's over 60 degrees.

That's not what I intend to do with my spring break. We have such a paltry train system here that long-distance car driving is the only way to travel distances, and the scene from the interstate is less than enchanting. I'm also not fond of beaches and drunken crowds (which is what happens at Palm Beach, Tijuana, Fort Lauderdale and other southern beach properties.)

If I had the money to travel for spring break, I would travel to one of the following:


  • Thailand, to apprentice to a fine cook there and eat durian till I'm banned from public transportation;
  • Vancouver Canada, in the hopes I discover my next career there (not likely to happen)
  • The British Isles, hoping to secure a non-tourist tour that exposes me to real life.
  • Somewhere in Europe, but only if invited, and knowing my husband is coming with me.
In other words, I want slice of life, authentic food, and connections with real people.

What will I be doing for Spring Break?
  • On Saturday March 17, I will be watching the World's Shortest St. Patrick's Day Parade and eating traditional Irish faire at the Historical Society. Oh, yes, and celebrating my 11th wedding anniversary (in case you've wondered, I'm part Irish (and Welsh, German, Ojibwe, French, Polish, Dutch, Irish) so a St. Patrick's wedding day makes sense. On the other hand, Richard (although his name is Leach-Steffens) is German and Chinese. 
Us, eleven years ago. We get better with age.

  • On Sunday March 18, we'll take a trip to The Elms in Excelsior Springs again for a reasonably priced two-day writing retreat. I don't know if Richard will write, but I plan to work on Whose Hearts are Mountains, the next installment in the Archetype books. (I'm saving finishing Prodigies, a YA novel, until Camp NaNo in April.)
  • From there, it will be garden work and finalizing my annual portfolio. Not much we can plant now except peas, lettuce, cabbages and maybe root vegetables.
Overall, not exciting. I'll probably post during vacation (like I managed during Atlantic Hope, Missouri Hope, and New York Hope -- nothing can stop me, not even depression) 

But here's a new thought -- if you want to, send digital postcards to lleachie@gmail.com. It's the next best thing to having coffee with me.

1 comment:

  1. Oh have fine and just enjoy yourself! Do everything and anything that your heart desires.
    This is Lanetta.

    ReplyDelete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.