Thursday, March 15, 2018

Dusting myself off and trying again

It looks like I'm going to subject myself to another round of the Kindle Scout campaign process.

I'm just finishing one more edit of the book Voyageurs for a possible Kindle Scout campaign. It, like Gaia's Hands (which, with fewer than 15 days left, will not make the cut for publication), is a standalone book for the moment. Voyageurs doesn't happen in the same space as the Archetype series, so it wouldn't break up a series (which would make it unattractive to an agent).

Voyageurs is very different than Gaia's Hands. Where Gaia's Hands is a delicate, pastoral slice of magical realism, Voyageurs features the sardonic daredevil Kat Pleskovich and the bookish Ian Akimoto from the disastrous ecological future called The Chaos. What begins as a string of suspicious deaths among the Travellers, or time-jumpers, becomes the uncovering of a plot to destroy the world.

Although it would be easy to dismiss this book as a time traveller romance, I've skewed things a little too much to use that label comfortably. Present-day Kat's streetwise manner and her prickliness make her anything but the girl who needs a big man to protect her. Ian from the future, frail and bookish, has more empathy but a tendency to try to ingratiate himself to Kat. Their mentor, Berkeley, is a frustratingly droll time historian who revels in the Socratic Method. The bad guys? You'll have to read the book.

I would call this book a crossover -- soft SF with a touch of mystery and a relationship that helps pull things together.

If you have any ideas about the timing of the book campaign, please let me know.

Thank you for sticking with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.