Friday, March 9, 2018

The actual, the ideal, and the "ought" self

Yesterday in class, I taught about self-discrepancy theory as a form of motivation. In this theory, we have ourselves -- our current selves -- and two states we aspire to, our ideal self and our "ought" self. Our ideal self is what we aspire to be, while our "ought" self is who we feel we have to be.

Our "ought" self is all about obligation and sense of duty -- go to work, save money, pay parking tickets, don't scream in the middle of a train station. Think of the "ought self" as "I am the person who shows up to work on time, doesn't litter, and pays my taxes." I can envision ought selves that are bloated with rules that are not so much obligation and sense of duty but fitting in as well -- I talked with a friend yesterday and we both grew up with the command "Don't act smart -- boys don't like that." That's a pretty useless ought unless women are obligated to undermine their own rights, and that's not right.

Our ideal self is about accomplishment. I would distinguish here between experiential activities -- "I would like to go to Disney World" and true accomplishment activities -- "I would like to walk a half-marathon." The accomplishments we choose to define us go into building our ideal self. A map of ideal vs ought selves might look like this:

Ideal                                                                                           Ought
Engages in deep conversation                                                   Votes
Performs skilled volunteer work                                                Practices compassion
Takes 10-mile hikes                                                                   Gets enough sleep
Writes novels and poetry                                                           Yada yada yada
Publishes books

Those are actually part of my ideal vs ought selves. (Ought selves are not as interesting.) Ideal selves help us to set growth goals, whereas ought selves help us to set maintenance goals.

Note the last item on my Ideal list. This could explain my fixation with getting published. My ideal self is a published author. It's not just my desire to be read and to reach people -- it's that I like the image. My ideal self gains some cachet by being a published author. Society expects accomplished (i.e. published) authors to be eccentric; eccentricity without a credential is perceived as weird.

It's going to be a struggle, because of my history of rejections. I have to see an alternative ideal version of me that's creative even though nobody's watching (I got zero nominations on my book in Kindle Scout yesterday). That's hard, because my ideal self is someone that others would look up to -- not fawn over, not idealize nor idolize, maybe not even admire, but respect.

I'll keep writing for myself, but I'm going to have to find something else that takes the place of getting published, something creative that can gain me respect and some visibility. And as I am very bad with my hands (I cannot knit, crochet, sew, weave, color within the lines, or walk a straight line), crafts are out. I'd love to do carpentry, but I'd also love to have all ten fingers. So this brings me back to writing.

How do I parlay writing into something that's not just for me, but has an audience, has usefulness, and fulfills my ideal self?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.