Friday, March 23, 2018

Celebrity Cats Have Gone to the Dogs

I live my life simply, asking "Do I need it" before seriously considering "As Seen On TV" gadgets (and the answer is usually "no".)

 I am not inclined to buy the latest fashion, arranging my wardrobe into two categories: classic and long-lasting work clothes, and jeans/t-shirts* (even t-shirts with words on them, which are supposed to be passé for older women.)

I avoid television, mostly because I have an infinite attention span in the wrong moments -- like, say. commercials. And celebrity is lost on me -- I have no desire to get an autograph from Wolverine, Lorde, Chris what's-his-name who played Captain America, or Oprah Winfrey. **

Therefore, I  thought I was immune to the celebrity testimonial advertisements, which are supposed to make us feel closer to said celebrity if we buy these items. *** I wasn't a namedropper, I didn't covet fashion accessories, and I surveyed potential purposes by their usefulness.

And then came the Celebrity Cats.

For those of you who hate cats, the allure of Celebrity Cats has escaped you. You have never watched Surprise Kitty do jazz paws, or the round-faced Waffles demonstrating what cats look like when they're in-bread (you do get the joke, don't you?) And the slightly crosseyed Nala Cat, and the Boddhisattva from outer space, Lil Bub ...

Obviously, I don't hate cats. My Instagram feed has as many cats as humans. And yes, I follow the Celebrity Cats and their owners like others would follow the cast of Supernatural. The other day, Monty Boy had a seizure and I was combing his Instagram feed for the latest word on his condition (latest word -- it's not anything horrible).

But then the Celebrity Cats started selling things.

It began with fan merchandise (yes, Celebrity Cats have fans) like t-shirts**** and coffee mugs, and that was cool, because it was fun to be a follower of a quirky cat.*****

But then the Celebrity Cats started doing product placement and brand testimonials for cat-related items like automatic litterboxes and high-end cat food and something that looks like a gerbil wheel ... and something has soured in my relationship with Celebrity Cats.

Why have I soured to these cats' newfound success? Is it that I think they're being exploited? I feel this way, although it's not rational -- the humans sign contracts that the cat hasn't even seen (or likely cares about). Why was I not opposed to the t-shirts and the coffee mugs and ...?  Because those reached out to other cat lovers and provided a sense of affinity.

What changes when selling third-party products enters the equation? First of all, cat lovers are a quirky lot, and we feel we have personal relationships with our small, furry divas.****** When they start becoming commercial actors, or worse, celebrity endorsers, the illusion fades and we realize that the owners, not the cats, are running the show. The curtain is gone, and what lies behind it is not a cute, quirky cat but a human with a degree in marketing.














* You may notice that this list leaves no room for sexy outfits. Deal with it.

** "You get an autograph, you get an autograph, EVERYBODY gets an autograph!" Sorry, international readers, you probably don't get this. Comment if you want an explanation.

*** Not closer as in "Open the door, love, and quit calling the cops", but closer as in "I'm in the in-group, I'm cool, I wear the same jeans as someone who launched a career by looking good in these jeans. Maybe I'm next."

**** I only have three Bub t-shirts, and only because I had to replace one that had gotten too big and it was on sale, so ... My husband reminded me of the sweatshirt. oops.

***** I have stuffed toy Bubs, Grumpy Cats, and a Simon's Cat.

******As I speak, Girlie-Girl is sitting on the leg of the couch and the computer stand, purring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.