Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Counting the words

I am trying to extend a 1200 word story into a 7000 word story for a writing contest. I've written 300 words so far; so I only have to do this 22 more times. 

I tend to like short, concise writing, even in novels. I wonder if it's because I'm relatively impatient, or whether I have a short attention span, or whether I really really can get everything I want done in fewer words. I've been told the latter by my dev editor, who doesn't want me to lengthen things. On the other hand, I have a short story that an editor would like to see as a novel. He's absolutely right, and it would make a great prequel to Prodigies, but I would have to immerse myself in Poland for a couple weeks to get the feel for it. 


So, back to the story. The story is Kami, and it's about death and afterlife. It also features Jeanne and Josh Beaumont-Young, one of my favorite couples. Jeanne at this point is 80 and has just lost her 55-year-old husband of 27 years. I like the couple because they defyour common notions of love and attraction, and because they have a chemistry despite their bookishness.

I need to take a deep breath and set myself a writing goal, and just write, then edit. Luckily I have a vacation to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.