Friday, November 30, 2018

In praise of competency

I've always had a good imagination. This gave my parents and school psychologist a turn when I told them "the monsters are my friends!" (I was ahead of my time. Nowadays monsters are all the rage among little kids).

When I write, I get to make my imagination real, after a fashion. Not flesh-and-blood real, but living an existence in my pages. My monsters are now preternatural beings and people with special powers, but others can now see them.

I've always had a great vocabulary as well. In fifth grade, I used the word "flabbergasted" to describe my reaction to a classmate. When my sister protested my use of fancy words, my mother pointed out the value of the right word: "I was surprised when my classmate gave me a present. I was flabbergasted when he dropped his drawers in front of me." Obviously, I got my love of vocabulary from my mother.

What I didn't have, as a beginning writer, was competence. Things I thought were stylistic quirks were taking people out of the story, and I didn't recognize that. I could have found out if I'd sent my manuscripts to a developmental editor, but I didn't know I needed to. I thought a utilitarian query letter would work. I didn't utilize beta-readers, because I didn't think I needed those either.

I had ideas, I had imagination. I had the drive to be published. What I didn't have is competence in the skills needed to make the story understandable and engaging.

I'm working on those with the help of developmental editors and beta readers and diversity editors and publishing coaches. I'm learning from them and incorporating it into my work. This gives me competence -- enough, I hope, that I will get published.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.