Monday, December 4, 2017

Removing the Growth of Words

Yesterday was a good editing day.

Generally, a writer is supposed to write the first draft, blocking out the basic action of the story, and then edit. But I had gotten into a muddle, and I knew it, and I couldn't write more unless I found the muddle and corrected it.

I knew the muddle originated in the chapter that was half again as long as the other chapters, but I had to decide which material drove the plot and which material was extraneous and superficial. That gave me a formula to work with.

It turned out I had tried to give too much background on my mythical beings, the Archetypes, and their half-human offspring, the Nephilim: "Here, Anna, here's everything you need to know about your ancestry."

Last night, I asked myself the following questions:

  • Do people give hours of expository dialogue in real life? No.
  • Is this just going to give Anna Schmidt, the protagonist, information overload? Yes.
  • Have I written myself in a corner, because I've overexplained one plot line to the detriment of the other (She's in danger, the whole world's in danger?) Yes.
  • Am I going to have to edit this mess to proceed? I'm afraid so.
The murder of two thousand something words (and not even great words) later, I'm happier with the chapter. Not final draft happy, but first draft happy.

The moral of the story is that some words harm the story as a whole, and surgical excision is necessary.


One more thing: Portugal reader, who are you? You make me curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.