Thursday, December 14, 2017

My Latest Adventures in Querying

I've been brushing up my query letter for Voyageurs after having gotten a comment from an agent that I should. (I believe she said "This is a good source for learning how to write a query letter.") Beautiful response, but I felt the burn across the Interwebs.

Here's the new, improved query (the generic version; this will get tweaks to personalize it):


Dear Recipient,

My name is Lauren Leach-Steffens, and I have a thought for you to entertain: What if climate change had been accelerated deliberately through manipulation of the past? In the book Voyageurs, climate change becomes a plot hatched by a murderous time traveler. Voyageurs, a book of 89,000 words in the science fiction genre, explores the use and limits of time manipulation in the vein of Gregory Benford's Timescape.

In Voyageurs, time travelers Ian Akimoto and Kat Pleskovich sleuth a spate of death threats against Kat and her mentor. They discover that a collection of seemingly unrelated threats and deaths lead to a 100-year-long swath of illegal time tampering. At the end of that trail lay the climate crisis that engulfs Ian’s era. Nobody has reversed time before – will Ian and Kat take on the dangerous task to try to reverse the time damage done?

Lauren Leach-Steffens is an associate professor of family economics, and she has published several academic articles. Extensive exposure to economics, psychology, and sociology has greatly influenced her characters and world building.

Warm regards,

Lauren Leach-Steffens
*********

Hope this works.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.