Wednesday, December 13, 2017

An Enemy of Creativity -- Envy

Last night I had a dream in which I was hanging out with an ex-boyfriend of mine who had had a comic published and going into animation. (Note: said ex-boyfriend failed composition the first time he took it and can't draw, although his best friend in college had a flair for comics illustration.) He announced his feat to all and sundry, from a science fiction convention to the barista at the coffee house. I was quite getting sick of it, but I was also getting envious because I wasn't getting published.

The dream segued into an art classroom much like my high school art classroom, where I struggled with great inspiration but the inability to render my imagination into a pleasing reality (just like high school). I was actually trying to sculpt a flower petal-by-petal with shortening and cornmeal, for unknown reasons. I got into an altercation with a woman I know of, who I know to have no small amount of artistic talent. She impatiently flounced around the crowd of tables and made her displeasure known. "What kind of an art room is this! There's too many people, no room to move -- "

"There's another class in the normal art lab," I tried to soothe her despite my exasperation.

"Ethics, I'll bet," she sniffed.

I envied her the ability to think highly enough of herself and her talent that she could be a disagreeable prima donna.

*********
In the dream, I explained both of these scenarios to my husband, the first one in person, the second by phone. Upon analysis, I decided the dream was about envy -- envy of someone who manages to break through and be regarded as excellent in their field. The fact that both were unpleasant about it suggests that I'm afraid to do what they did to get ahead of me -- namely self-promotion. I'm envious about that ability to say "this is why you should read me" instead of merely "this is what I wrote".

I struggle with self-promotion. A combination of Midwestern Humble upbringing, insecurity about my writing, and a sincere desire not to make others feel small makes it hard for me to assertively sell myself. Yesterday I read a primer on "how to write a good query letter", and it exhorted the writer to mention how they had met the agent previously, and how the author's book was in the vein of other writers the agent handled. I haven't met any agents, but I suppose I should see who's handling the authors I follow, although I don't know if my books are like theirs. To me, this seems like so much presumption and schmoozing, which I've always avoided with all of my Quaker heart.

All that said, envy is an enemy of creativity. Why? Because it twists a writer in knots and flares up all the insecurities they've kept buried. It's hard to be creative when you're miserable and self-absorbed.

How to deal with envy? Own it, feel it, but contradict the messages in your mind that say you'll never get published (never is a long time), your stuff is worthless (you don't know its worth; don't judge), nobody will ever read it (this is a deep, dark pessimism you can get rid of simply by finding beta readers), agents don't like it (agents don't get to read in depth; polish what you have).

I do this all the time. It's almost become a ritual of cognitive journaling.

Back to the dream, and my husband. I'm also envious of him, because his first book has just the sort of rollicking, light SF in a John Scalzi vein that will raise attention before mine will. I'm encouraging him to finish and market the book because he deserves to be published, all while being envious.  I know that if he gets published, I will have to wrestle with the belief that my calling is to stand at the starting line and watch the runners speed past me. I'll have to do more cognitive journaling, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.