Wednesday, December 20, 2017

I've received two same-day rejections from my latest 3-a-day query sendouts. That's a little hard on my system, although at the same time I appreciate not waiting. Someone once told me that querying is a lot like dating -- you have to face a lot of rejections.

I've had to face a lot of rejections in dating -- A LOT. In the days before wingmen, there was no buddy to woo the -- oops, now I remember the really dimunitive circus acrobat who showed me his 12-page Bulgarian drivers' license while his taller comrade tried to woo my tall, blonde, vivacious roommate Kristy and our other roommate, Beth, cleaned up the pool table like the pool shark she was. (Yes, that sentence should be read all in one breath, because that's how it happened.) That was a true wingman. And he was cute, but I wasn't into one-night stands in a performer's train berth.

College stories aside, back to the topic of rejection. I have lots of practice in accepting rejection from the dating side of things. Some guys gave me nice rejections -- "If I were straight, I'd date you". Some gave me mean rejections -- "You're fat. You must have a self-esteem problem."

I've had lots of rejections for jobs too. The nicest one told me who they hired, and she had 20 years experience and a textbook under her belt. The most frustrating one basically said they couldn't find a qualified candidate for their consumer -- or family -- or whatever -- faculty job despite 206 applicants.

I have about 12 queries out now -- oops, ten -- and I send three out every day. I will send 72 out by the time I'm done. And if this time is like last time, I will have 72 rejections. Some rejections are form letters. Some are really nice, and I wonder if those are form letters as well. All of them tell me to keep trying.

I keep trying under the assumption that I haven't found the right agent yet. And if I keep trying, I will find the right agent. I accept that my writing style and ideas aren't necessarily simple enough for genre fiction (like science fiction and fantasy), but maybe too non-mainstream for literary fiction. I'm in an odd place.

As a Friend (Quaker), I believe that I am called by the Divine to write secular books about fighting societal ills in the present, but set in a near future with fantastic elements. I'm called to write, but maybe for a purpose that has nothing to do with getting published. I don't know. But if the world needs my novel, as NaNoWriMo believes, I need an agent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.