Monday, December 11, 2017

Don't worry about editing -- yet.

I've been running into some difficulties writing on Whose Hearts Are Mountains, and the reason why is because I've been ignoring one of the big lessons of NaNoWriMo -- don't worry about editing until I'm done with the first draft.

It's hard not to -- I'll be writing and suddenly realize I've contradicted myself. I fix contradictions when I see them, and then I get off-track because it takes a while to hunt them down. And then I start worrying about "Have I gotten enough foreshadowing here?" and "Did I forget this plot thread?" and then I get all muddled up and want to cry.

What I need to do now is write. I need to get those pure ideas on the page and hash out the continuity and the foreshadowing later.

I need to play with the story first.

Then I can do the editing.

**********

I'll have unexpected time this week to write: I got done grading the big assignment in my classes -- seven hours of straight grading, at the end of which I thought my eyes might be bleeding. Now for the easiest week of my semester, because my finals are multiple-choice and online, which means they grade themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.