Sunday, December 31, 2017

Inertia

I haven't written on my work in progress the past several days because of two things: The need to have my classes laid out and revised by the first day of college meetings (i.e. Wednesday), and the delightful distraction known as planning my summer garden.

I'm done with class prep, so it's time to write again. However, I'm suffering from inertia of motion -- it's easier to continue what I have been doing (revising classes, planning the garden) than it is to change direction again and start to write. In other words, my mind is stuck.

How can I break inertia and start writing again? Marelisa (2004) suggests some inertia-busters:

  • Shock Myself into Action -- Think of a goal I won't meet if I don't write.
  • Secure Short Term Wins to Overcome Inertia -- Frame my goal as "spending four half-hour periods writing today".
  • Dangle a Carrot In Front of Myself - Reward myself if I complete the task.
  • Fill My Gas Tank -- Rest if I need to!
  • Use a Stick -- Make myself do something unpleasant (like cleaning the litterbox) if I don't complete the task.
  • Create a Clear Vision of What You’re Trying to Achieve -- Some people have visionboards. This doesn't work for me because I have trouble visualizing (imagine a very blurry image that lasts for about a second). But I can think of this as the relationship between my main character and others.
  • Stage It -- Have all my writing things at hand, staring me in the face. In this case, it's sitting in my most comfortable chair with my computer and computer desk.
So now I have goals based on these strategies to overcome inertia and push myself in another direction. Have you noticed my writing has been more technical and less poetic the past couple days? That's inertia. I need a creative outlet to get my balance back. I need to write.

Marelisa (2004).  Seven Ways to Overcome Inertia and Get Yourself Unstuck. Available: https://daringtolivefully.com/overcome-inertia [Deember 31, 2017].


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.