Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Christmas in the time of despots

By the way, I don't need you to be Christian; I'm not Christian in the way most churches recognize. But here are more thoughts on Christmas.

I was thinking of my least favorite Christmas song ("All I Want for Christmas is YOOOOOO") and asked my husband if there were any recently written Christmas songs that didn't peddle a fantasy, either about snow, mistletoe, family Christmases, etc. or at the praise song level that didn't address the social justice aspects of Jesus' message. Older songs actually address social justice issues, from pointing out Jesus' lowly birth to Masters in the Hall mentioning that Jesus would cast down the proud. We need social justice more than ever, but the dialog is sorely missing at Christmas, drowned out by jingle bells and commercials.

I wrote this out of my sadness and depression in this season, watching the humanity of the United States slowly bleed out drop by drop by legislation and regulation that favors the rich business people at the expense of the poor, people of color, and the LGBTIQA (sp?) community.

I dared myself to write the social commentary I wanted to see. I don't have music for it, so if anyone wants to contribute that, let me know, and maybe I'll become a singer-songwriter again:



I’ve memorized the carols
As I wade through Christmas crowds,
With lyrical exhortations
To casteth down the proud
The mighty have proclaimed themselves
So far above the fray
They stake their claim in Jesus’ name
But they forgot to pray.
I have to sneak to pray the words
I’m not supposed to say:


CHORUS:
I want a real Christmas
I want the Peace on Earth
I want the Good Will promised
With Jesus’ lowly birth
I want to see the lions
Give shelter to the lambs
I want to see the low raised up
And the Kingdom born again.


I’ve read the Christmas story --
The migrants on the road
There to appease the government
Despite Mary’s heavy load
I’ve read that Baby Jesus
Was born among the poor
But now we’re told the poorest
Deserve to live no more
And we would starve poor Jesus
If he returned once more.

CHORUS

It’s hard to see it’s Christmas
With trees in black and white,
My mind seems far too weary
To deal with all the spite
I light a single candle
For strength on every day,
To love and give to all creation
Any way I may,
And every day to shout the words
I’m not supposed to say:


CHORUS

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.