Sunday, November 15, 2020

Major undertaking

 



We're replacing the tuner for our stereo system today. It's only 15+ years old, but it's hardly top of the line, and it's started making unpleasant buzzing and popping sounds. Cue in Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" -- "DEE dee dee ZZZZRRRRRPPPZZZZZT" 

We bought its (used but newer) replacement through Facebook Marketplace the other day for $100, so today we're going to install it.

I got Richard at the right moment to agree to install it. Otherwise it could have sat on the couch for weeks. We have a habit around the house of getting a new gadget and letting it sit. And sit. There are so many life-changing gadgets in this house that are not, in fact, changing my life. The air fryer is not frying, nor is the instant pot potting. So I really want the tuner tuning.

The replacement of the tuner requires more work than I had apparently considered. I just labeled a bunch of wires 'front center', 'front right', 'front left', 'right surround', 'left surround', 'active subwoofer', 'passive subwoofer', and 'passive-aggressive subwoofer'. The latter is probably the one making ominous popping noises.

My task in all this is to label things and stand back, because this is RICHARD'S STEREO. And I'm fine with this, because my concept of a fancy stereo is one of those all-in-one bricks that Wal-Mart sells, the one with the two breadbox-sized speakers and nothing that looks like a subwoofer. 

The old tuner is out, and I am eternally grateful Richard's taking care of this project because there are entirely too many inputs for my comfort.

For some reason I'm really hungry for a plate of barbecue, Kansas City style. I have no reason why. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.