Monday, November 23, 2020

Thankful for my Burdens


I make a habit of being thankful for the adversity in my life as a way to make peace with it. This year is no exception:

  • I am thankful for the social isolation I've faced with COVID-19, because I have had to learn to be patient and to wait for those vacations and writing retreats to be scheduled in an unforeseen future.
  • I am thankful for my bipolar disorder because I've had to learn to take care of myself.
  • I am thankful for my learning disability (the inability to visualize) because it has made me work harder on my writing.
  • I am thankful for every argument I've gotten into with my husband because we've both learned from them.
  • I am thankful for not being rich because I haven't lost my sense of perspective.
I know that it's an odd thing to be thankful for adversity, but to me it's more powerful than to be thankful for one's blessings. I have many, and I could go on about those. It always feels to me, though, that being thankful for one's blessings is rubbing it in to others who don't have those blessings. It's easier for me to be thankful for my burdens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.