Wednesday, November 13, 2019

If I get published

If I ever get a book published traditionally (my optimistic friends say "when", not "if"), it will change my life in many ways. 

The money won't be a big change -- according to Derek Murphy, the average amount an author earns is the advance, which is $10k, or $8k after the agent gets their cut.  

I will have to hire an entertainment lawyer to look over the contract and see if there are any potential hitches. 

I will have to sign a contract, after which my rights to my book will be curtailed for a period of time.

I will have to consider promoting my book, which will include travel. I would likely do this in the summer, which means I will have to schedule around internship visits.

I will have to step up my social media game. I haven't done that yet because I have nothing really to promote except this blog. 

I've probably forgotten something.

Sometimes it seems more work than it's worth, but it's worth it to me. So I keep trying, keep improving, keep pushing myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.