Friday, October 18, 2019

About exorcism

I think my writing career needs an exorcism.

I'm mostly joking.

But something seems to have infested it, giving me rejection after rejection and making me feel like I'm never going to make it.

When I read the above paragraph, I get a little disgusted with myself, because I don't really believe a demon could prevent good things from happening in my career. It sounds like an externalization of something that could very well be a matter of me not writing well. 

I doubt my career needs an exorcism, but maybe my attitude does. I'm convinced I'm not a good enough writer to be published. Every time I get a rejection, I think "Yeah, I would have rejected that too." And then I feel down.

I'm told that negative attitudes affect reality. I don't know if I believe that, because it sounds uncomfortably like blaming the victim -- "Oh, you lost your job? It must be because you were thinking negative thoughts." There's also too many charlatans (I'm looking at you, Oprah) that have put forth the belief that you can attract love, success and riches from just thinking positive. 

Yet I wonder if my negativity about my writing affects something -- maybe the writing of my cover letters, maybe even how my work resounds in the universe. I don't know.

How does one exorcise an attitude?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.