Thursday, January 10, 2019

6000 Words

I'm in the difficult position on figuring out where to put 6000 words back into Voyageurs.

This is harder than it sounds. Or, rather, doing it well is harder than it sounds. More dialogue might be a good thing, but it has to be the right dialogue -- developing character or plot without sounding like the words were crowbarred into the text.

Adding words, to me, is harder than editing. I've edited my professional papers for years -- the real challenge in academic writing is editing a synopsis of the paper to fifty words, which reads something like this:

Researchers hypothesized that subjects would be more likely to buy the pre-owned car than the used car. One hundred and twenty-three students in a convenience sample received either a used car or the pre-owned car catalog entry.  Subjects viewed both cars with equal likelihood of buying.

There's so much more I could have said about the research this synopsis came from. This, by the way, is the type of writing one has to do for the summary a book in a query letter. You get one, maybe two paragraphs in a query letter (but more than fifty words) to describe your book. If the author wants to participate in #pitmad on Twitter -- a big event where authors pitch their books on Twitter -- you get one sentence to sell your novel, a statement called an elevator pitch.

Well, back to adding words. I'm really apprehensive about adding words. I did add some descriptions throughout and one whole chapter, which is why I only need 6000 words. That's the equivalent of two-three chapters, which is what I cut out by advice of my developmental editor. I can understand why those chapters got cut -- they were action-packed chapters in a story that had quite enough action. My dev editor is looking for places where I can add stuff, so I may have to patiently wait to see what she has to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.