Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Getting from goals to accomplishments

Sometimes I write in this blog when I don't seem to have a lot to say. It's not because I love to hear the sound of my "voice", although some would argue I do. Rather, it's to keep a routine going so I don't lose a good habit.

Routine is what helps us develop good habits. That, and a reward for doing them, since in the short run doing what we've always done feels better. Habits, as unglamorous as they are, are what turn long term goals into accomplishments.

As a professor teaching positive psychology and behavioral economics, I have an interest in the whole idea of how to change habits. The behavioral economics idea behind behavior is that we're naturally going to choose the immediate reward over the long-term benefit. There's proof behind this; behavioral economists (including my favorite, Dr. Dan Ariely) do research to support their hypotheses, like any good professor.

I am trying out a program called Fabulous, which helps people develop good habits. It is based on behavioral economics, and Dan Ariely is one of its driving forces. The program uses environmental cues (such as putting your sneakers by the door if you're training yourself to exercise), social cues (reminders on the app and encouragement), repetition, and rewards (praise and leveling up). I'm not necessarily going to recommend it, because membership costs $50 a year, but I think the reasoning behind it is sound, having read some of the research myself.

To go back to my blogging habit -- I have writing on my daily to-do list, along with one hour of writing activities daily. I set aside some time each morning to write; my computer is my environmental cue.

And my reward? Reading the stats on my Blogger page to see people from many different countries reading this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.