Monday, October 15, 2018

Seeking clearness

I want to hear your thoughts. I'm thinking about where to go with my writing.

I have come to the point where I need to think seriously about whether to continue writing and whether to continue my quest to be published, which are related but seperate things.

Thoughts:
1) One doesn't write novels "for oneself". The rough draft of a novel is about 80,000 to 100,000 words. I write about 1000 words in an hour when I'm in the groove; much fewer when I'm not. This doesn't count the number of hours editing and re-editing, which I would estimate at least another 60 hours.

2) If I could share with people for free, I might be inclined to keep writing. I have trouble getting my friends (that's you!) to beta-read or read for the heck of it. The time I tried serializing on WattPad or that other platform way back when, nobody read. People don't read much anymore, I'm told.

3) It's easy to say "If I get an agent/get published/get readers then that's a sign from God that I'm supposed to keep writing." What if I don't get these? Is it a sign that I'm not supposed to work toward getting published anymore?

4) I will be working with a publishing coach, probably to pursue the self-publishing route. But the recommendations are likely to be "find some friends to read it, and have them write reviews". This bothers me because a) it seems like gaming the system and b) #2 above.

5) Without people to share my stories with, I'm losing the thrill. I want you to know my characters. They're like family to me -- the immortal lawyer Luke and his Denisovan consort Su, the dark Grzegorz, the droll Weissrogue, edgy Kat, and others.

I need your thoughts and your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.