Saturday, August 22, 2020

A Day for Writing

 

 

I am going to push myself into writing today. COVID has made me less inclined to write, as has editing all summer (and I'm still editing Gaia's Hands) and a general sense of not knowing where to go. But today is a good time to start, because I'm going to have the whole day to myself --

My brain just asked, "Why not sleep? You haven't gotten a good sleep for a while!" That's true; my kitten Chloe has been waking me up with these claws-out zoomies across the bed. But I want to feel like I've accomplished something -- and loading up Tweetdeck with my #PitMad entries two weeks in advance isn't enough. I need to feel like something is going forward.

I'm struggling between staying at home and going out to the Game Cafe. The former has a too-familiar, uninspiring atmosphere. The latter has everything I need, but I'm afraid of getting overcaffeinated. 

 Tough decision. Hmmm...

But the bigger decision is what I'm going to write.  I would feel better writing a short story right now than writing on Gaia's Hands because that feels like so much work without reward. I'm not liking it for vague reasons and I don't know how to fix what I'm not liking. The story right now feels like a bucket that takes endless water to fill.  

 I am wondering if I should free-write to see if there's a new story in here. My short story plots in the past have included a child trying to get back with her friends, who have been captured by the wee folk; a vampire at a NA meeting.; a woman with bipolar disorder who believes she is the avatar of a wrathful God; a parody of a noir detective story; a story about a woman's asshole inner child escaping; two buddy stories set in space; a story about cultural differences and a second chance; an immortal who falls in love with an elderly woman and has to learn about death; a few others. 

Maybe I need to stir up my psyche with ideas that turn into stories. These stories have come from visual images I've experienced; prompts from contests; dreams; flippant self-inquiry, and character development for novels. 

My dreams lately consist of equipment failure and taking my clothes off in the middle of the hallway at work. And ex-boyfriends wanting to come back with me and telling me I'm the only one. (I don't believe them.)

  Maybe I'll try prompts from contests...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.