Thursday, August 27, 2020

I don't know what I'm doing.

 


 

I figured out why it is I really want to be traditionally published. Set all the fame and fortune* aside, the reason I really want to be traditionally published is the management prospect.

I'm really bad at the things traditional publication is good at -- Marketing and advertising, book covers, etc. I want to be told what to do at this point in my career. I want to be told, "here are your choices for book cover. Here's what we expect you to do to help market. Do some book tours here and here."

If I self-publish, I have to figure out a "writing platform", which is in effect a sales platform. Other than a Twitter account with 4500 followers and a Facebook page with 100 followers, I don't know what that would be.

There's so many things I don't know about marketing a book.** I don't know how to find the right cover art. I don't know how to market. I can't see myself selling over 100 books, and I know I would do better with traditional.

So I'm still undecided. I'm still hoping to get picked up traditionally, trying to improve my cover letters and my outlines and my pitches. I think my books have potential; I just need to find that way in.

*************

*Fortune? Not unless you're Nora Roberts/JD Robb. Most of us won't make a living of it.

**I know a little about designing a book cover. I know that followers are a big part of marketing. I have a blog and a website for selling for when I actually have a book out. But I don't know how to do this well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.