Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Soundtrack for Gaia's Hands

Every time I write a book, I put together a playlist (or as us old-timers call it, a mixtape). I try to capture the book's moods in a list of music that plays for between half and hour and an hour.

The style of the playlist varies by the moods and general tone of the book. Voyageurs, a time-travel mystery of sorts, goes from a late 1880's German wind ensemble place to Indigo Girls and Hoobastank. The energy of Kat Pleskovich and Ian Akimoto's Buddhist calm exchange importance on the mixtape.

Gaia's Hands, on the other hand, is a mystical exploration of permaculture, love, and the greening of the earth. The soundtrack is funneled through Jeanne Beaumont's experience of having been young in the 70's and introduced to a wide range of music. Here's that playlist:

Voices -- Cheap Trick
Brass in Pocket -- Pretenders
Big Yellow Taxi -- Joni Mitchell
Doctor My Eyes -- Jackson Brown
Ancient Forest -- Clannad
The Host of Seraphim -- Dead Can Dance
The Book I Read -- Talking Heads
For What it's Worth -- Buffalo Springfield
Mother Earth (Provides for Me) -- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

I would love it if you could share playlists with me and the reason you use the playlists!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.