Friday, March 27, 2020

Day 31 Lenten Meditation : Support



One of the most enduring traits of humanity is its ability to support each other during times of crisis. Just some of the supports I have seen during shelter-in-place are the following:


  • Education units (pre-K through higher education) quickly mobilizing to online without a break, and with sensitivity to students' needs
  • Textbook publishers allowing free access to online textbooks over the duration of the sheltering
  • Internet Archive offering free access to their library
  • Local Facebook groups helping each other meet needs
  • Outreach by the Instagram cat community reminding us to take care of ourselves (I suppose there are others, but I tune into the cat community)
  • Countless others
  • Harbor Freight's donations of N95 masks and face shields to hospitals
  • People on social media reaching out to the more vulnerable
  • And so many I'm not aware of
I'm not counting the millions of businesses, small and large, who are adapting their businesses to face our current reality -- online and curbside. The businesses who are adapting their production to fit our current needs. (I'm only not counting them because there's a profit motive).

The way humanity gets through these calamities -- pandemic, natural disaster, war -- is through supporting each other. We much each be supported, and we must each provide support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.