Sunday, March 29, 2020

Day 33 Lenten Meditation: Love




What can I say that hasn't already been said about love?

The Greeks a long time ago talked about different types of love, which I spoke about on Valentines' Day. Here they are as a refresher:

  • Agape – love of humanity.
  • Storge – love of family
  • Philia -- love of friends
  • Pragma – love which endures.
  • Philautia – self love
  • Ludus – flirtatious/playful love
  • Eros – romantic and erotic love.
Love, as an emotion, has the power to motivate. Storge motivates us to care for and protect our families; eros motivates us to take the risk to commit; philautia motivates us to take care of our bodies.

Love has the power to transcend. Agape moves us to do our best for others. Ludus finds us gifting others with our moments of dazzling brilliance -- or our clumsy attempts at wittiness. Pragma transcends the ravages of time.

Love is one of the forces that changes the world. The other is anger; however, anger without love can become destruction rather than creation.

I've said nothing that's not already been said; perhaps that is the curse of being a writer. But I write with love, and maybe that makes the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.