Saturday, March 14, 2020

Day 18 Lenten Meditation: Music



A long time ago, a friend told me, "I don't believe in God, but I do believe in music. Music is a force holding together the universe."

Even to this day, I can't say he was wrong. The music of the spheres in the greatness of the universe, a lullaby sung by a mother, the communal experience of a mosh pit or a church service, the sad song on the playlist -- all have the sense of the divine in them.

We turn to music for celebration, for comfort, for commemoration, for unity. We praise, we seduce, we tease, we shout for joy, we share our humanity, we lament -- all through music. To quote my friend Greg again, "Music is a force holding together the universe."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.