Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Day 8 Lenten Meditation: Silence


How do we know ourselves if not for silence? We only know our outward selves -- our careers, our social networks, our consumer-driven wants and needs. With silence we lose our external selves for a moment, and find our internal one. And then we pass beyond self to the big Unity, the center of silence.

There are many ways to find silence. Unplugging from the phone, meditating, silent worship, walking alone in a peaceful place. Anything that quiets not only the external but the internal chatter, our constant defining of the world.

As a Quaker, I am accustomed to silent worship. We believe that in the silence, The Divine speaks to us. Silence isn't only reserved for worship, but in everyday life. We believe that we must live simple lives so that there's undistracted space for us to listen to our small, still voice. That's another type of silence.

A little bit of silence is my prescription to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.