Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Shedding illusions

This blog entry meditates on my horoscope from Rob Brezsny, whose horoscopes are in and of themselves meditations. It can be found here:

I have lost many illusions about writing, some of which are embarassing to admit, although I will admit them anyway.


  • I thought people would be impressed with me for being a writer.
  • I thought it would be easy to get published because I'm a good writer and because I'd been writing to refereed journals for years with little difficulty.
  • I thought my first draft was my final draft because I make very few grammatical and spelling errors.
  • I thought my talent would shine through mediocre query materials. 
  • I thought writing a blog would get me lots of followers.
  • I thought I wasn't a real writer because I hadn't gotten published.
  • I thought my writing must be bad because agents didn't bite.
  • I thought I should quit writing because I hadn't been published.
  • I thought the accomplishment was in publishing, not writing.
  • I thought writing would change my life.
I dreamed of book release parties (I still do), meetings with agents, having my picture on the back of a book cover, book signings, ex-boyfriends having to choke on seeing my name on a book cover (I have always dated nerds.) These, especially the ex-boyfriend part, are also illusion for now. I may or may never get to see the reality.



These were the illusions I have shed over the past several years. Except the last one, because I think writing must have changed my life, but not in big momentous ways.

Where to from here? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.