Sunday, August 11, 2019

Writing vs being a writer

I ran into a quote from Alex Haley, author of Roots, that I wish I could find again. It pointed out that it was better to love writing than to love being a writer, because when you love being a writer, you're in love with the trappings of fame and money. 

And that's what happened to me -- I fell in love with chasing publication, with chasing a vision of fame. And, not finding it, I wanted to let my writing go.

I'm finally starting to get back into writing again. Just in time to go on a trip where I'm not going to get much done.

I'm still working on a short story, Hands, about one of my characters in Prodigies. It's a background story, one of those "what influenced this character" ideas, but it also reflects some of today's issues with white nationalism. I have the bare bones all written (ok, mostly written) and put together into a Word file, and I now have to smooth and develop and finesse it. A lot like sitting over a finished first draft of a novel, but shorter.  I've already written another from Prodigies, although it's more of a character sketch, called Tanabata

Short stories aren't as "sexy" as novels. They don't become national best-sellers, and they don't make money. But they get my name out there, and they can give little drops of affirmation.

I'm also packing up for a road trip -- by train. It's my annual moulage gig for New York Hope. I think I've mentioned this before. But train travel is fun for writing -- either in the observation lounge where the scenery passes by, or in the sleeper car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.