Saturday, August 31, 2019

Need New Ideas for Stories

I'm writing short stories, as advised by some people at the Gateway Con who thought I'd written enough novels for now. The three short stories I have written (as opposed to the flash fiction or short essays) are from the Prodigies/Archetype universe*: "Tanabata", "Hands", and "Runesansu". You can find them in these pages if you want a read. 

I want to branch out on my writing -- stay within the science fiction/fantasy, I think, except that there are certain topics I would like to stay away from:
  • Vampires
  • Werewolves
  • Alpha-freaking-male ANYTHING
  • Unbridled gore
  • Gratuitous sex
  • In-jokes **
  • The Adventures of Gary Stu
  • Fan Fic ***
This either means that I have to do new world-building or write short stories that don't require world-building. I've been tempted to do new world-building because I haven't done that for a while. I miss that immersive experience of creativity.

So if you have any inspirations ...

*****


* One character connects the two sets of stories
**(see Ready Player One if you don't know what I'm talking about)
*** I have nothing against fanfic; I just don't write it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.