Thursday, August 8, 2019

Live as if you're already published

In a trance last night, my mind told me to live as if I've already been published.

That's an interesting concept. My rational self wonders what it really means, though.

There are ways in which I can't live as if I've already been published. For example, I can't show off my writing to my friends. I can't plan a book publishing party or a book tour. I can't try to sell the nonexistent book at writers' or readers' conferences. 

So what does living as if I've already been published mean? I can take the pressure off myself; I don't have to prove anything. I don't have to believe myself inferior to those authors who have published books. Technically, I am an author, having published a few professional articles in my field, one opinion piece in the local newspaper, several personal essays for progressive religion publications, one short story and one flash fiction. So I can call myself an author even if I haven't published a book.

I don't have to prove anything. I'm already published. I'll keep trying to publish a book, but I don't have to anymore. I've accomplished my original goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.