Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Short Stories

I'm falling in love with short stories.

I've been playing with stories relating to the characters in Prodigies, because that's what's been close to my mind right now. I posted one of them, Hands, in this blog previously. 

I don't know how "marketable" they are, because they're my writing, and I'm having trouble getting the novels accepted. They tend to tie in with my novels, which will be a great thing once I'm published (anthologies are nice bonuses to give people as an incentive to buy your work at conferences), and before then they're stories I can try to publish.

Publishing short stories does not pay, for the most part. There's a lot of competition, of course, and I've gotten more rejections than acceptances so far. I don't know if anyone reads them besides the other people who are published in the journal or website. But getting published does give a little buzz of happiness. 

Meanwhile, as a writer, I find that writing short stories gives me small doses of accomplishment -- not as much as when I finish a novel, but enough to make me feel like writing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.