Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Self-examination and the Author

Yesterday, I asked my Facebook friends how to tell the difference between low self-esteem and brutal self-examination.

One of my friends responded with this inquiry:  "Always ask yourself if you are being your own best friend. If you were talking to a friend would you talk that way? If not, that voice doesn’t pay rent for space in your head. Kick her out!"

I thought about this -- How do I talk to myself?

I spend a lot of time examining my behavior, a running commentary in my head. But I don't indulge in negative self-talk. I don't say "OMG, I can't believe you put that in your query letter! You're an idiot!" I say, "That went well, but you could have done better with this other thing." Which I could have.  

Would I talk to a friend like that? If they asked. Maybe I would emphasize the positive a bit more, which I don't do for myself. To be honest, I need to point out more of the positives to myself. 

Another friend of mine, a psychologist, pointed out that self-awaqreness correlates with accomplishment but self-esteem doesn't. This is from research; I haven't found the study yet to give the citation. It makes sense, though -- self-awareness helps people to improve and it also gives them a connection to what they want to accomplish. Self-esteem, on the other hand, may help people feel good about themselves but lies separate from introspection. Self-esteem without self-awareness can become fatuous, a feel good mantra without substance. And self-awareness comes from self-examination.

When I write and I get rejections (which is all I've gotten so far), I go through what I've done to see where I could improve. This requires me to step back from the story I fell in love with when I wrote it. I think about the publication market versus my topics and ask myself whether I want to write specifically for the market (I want to write and see where the fantasy novel market and I intersect). I improve where I can, honing my skills at editing and using help like developmental editors.

 Brutal self-examination isn't fun. It's a familiar commentary of "Have you tried this?" and "Next time do that" and "This would have worked better here". I have to admit I don't celebrate my successes enough, and I would have to tone down the post-mortem questions if I were talking to a friend. I need to take more time for "You did this well" and "You're doing the right things" and "Good job!" 

Another thing to examine myself about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.