Sunday, March 3, 2019

Writing Superstitions part 2

I've written 1200 words so far on Gods' Seeds* as I tackle the time-honored question, "What is the best way to begin this book?" Beginnings are important, so rather than just letting the writing flow (as I do with the rest of the book), I work harder to make the beginning shine right off.

I think it's a superstition with me that I need a strong beginning but can just let words flow for the rest of the book and edit later. I do have my superstitions around writing, though. Nothing so obvious as a lucky shirt or favorite chair.

I plan to write in this blog every day, even if I write a fluff piece about coffee or cats** , because I believe that if I give this up, I will give writing up.  So I write this blog in the morning, usually 5:30 AM Central US time, almost every day, even through depressive episodes, because I believe that if I give it up, I will give up being a writer.

Do I have other writing superstitions? As I use a computer for composition, no favorite pen, no favorite shirt, no favorite place in the house (today I'm writing in bed, propped up, with my Surface propped up on a lap desk because it's Sunday morning and I can afford to be lazy today). Nope, just the one where I stick the beginning of the novel.

Maybe I need more superstitions -- where I can't write without coffee, or I pet my cat 14 times before I write or I have to wear my thinking cap*** or ... naaah, I'll stick to the superstition I have. It doesn't limit me much.



* I will change the name of this. See yesterday's blog as to why I haven't yet.
** Or coffee and cats.
*** I typed this "thinking cat". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.