Sunday, March 17, 2019

Day 12 Reflection: Heal

I have been in a state of healing for most of my life. 

I grew up with childhood trauma -- sexual abuse and rape, bullying, an unstable parent. I will talk about resiliency later in this series, because today I want to talk about healing.

This is hard to write, because society tends to tell survivors to 'get over it already'. The heart and mind don't work that way. Childhood trauma changes one's whole trajectory -- how one sees oneself, what one believes is possible, how abnormal one feels compared to the children around them who haven't faced the trauma and who blithely live their lives without picking around the traumatic experience.

I didn't start healing until I left my hometown for college. Before that, I was still immersed in the toxic culture of the town and could not see my life as anything but pain. In my new life, however, I met people who loved me for myself, wreckage and all.

It was only then that I began to heal. I think love is an integral part of healing, because it shows us that we are more than the sum of our damage. It's hard to let love in as an abuse survivor, but I had friends who persisted in loving me, and I became the person I had been denied.

 I'm still healing, many many years later. It's much better; the nightmares come rarely, and the memories have faded to neutral-toned snapshots, devoid of the pain. Sometimes I wonder how I would have turned out if I hadn't had the childhood I had. But my life has turned out so much better than I had dreamed as a child, which I credit to healing.

I will likely heal for the rest of my life, as do many (if not all) of us. But healing is possible.


I'

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.